Ric was born in Cherry Point, North Carolina as an only child to parents Vince and Vera Lerma. As a military family they moved their way across the country, settling down in what he’s always considered home, Garden Grove, CA. Ric graduated as an Argonaut from Garden Grove High School in 1972, studied at Cypress College, and started a 50 year career in Facility Maintenance & Cleaning.
He loved all things Garden Grove and was adamant about giving back to the GG Community like the Boys & Girls Club, the Police Explorers, and a host of other organizations in the City. He received many high accolades such as the Cypress College Citizen of the Year in 2017, Man of the Year for the City of Garden Grove in 2021, and Lions International - Melvin Jones Award in January 2023 among many others.
He served on many boards including:
● Garden Grove Hospital & Medical Center Board of Directors
● GG Community Police Advisory Board - 26 years
● Garden Grove Community Foundation Board
● GG Downtown Business Association - President
● GG Neighborhood Association Board - Vice President
● GG Chamber of Commerce Board Member
● GG Host Lions Club Board Member
● GG Strawberry Festival Board Member
His passion for his Catholic faith showed in his ministry at St. Columban parish. He served on the Parish Council for an unprecedented 8 years, served as School Board President of St. Columban’s Catholic School and was a 4th degree knight with the Knights of Columbus.
Ric will be missed most for his quick wit and humor, touching the lives of thousands through his ability to tell a fantastic joke and talk about any current event.
Ric is preceded in death by his father, Vincent Lerma, son in law Marvin Ambata, and grandson Aiden Kelhi. He is survived by his wonderful mother Vera, his loving wife of 28 years Susie, his children Maria(Chip), Richard, Nicole, Jeff, Justin(Laurie), Danielle(Travis), David, Josh, and Vincent, as well as his grandchildren Joseph, Xander, Bella, Rigley, Mya, Reagan, Hunter, and Marley. Niece Cathy and Nephew Oliver.
In lieu of flowers please consider a donation to the following (please add in the notes of payment “in honor of Ric Lerma”):
● The Garden Grove Community Foundation -
● The Garden Grove Neighborhood Association - https://checkout.stripe.com/c/pay/cs_live_a1N5DYQjrkitbrbTg1KkTkhjcqJrBMT3IG98jOXaR8H2qdgQ7rJthER4Ri#fidkdWxOYHwnPyd1blppbHNgWlMyY0NPUWpTcWdnXEF8NVZtNnNxS1RONjU1SHc1XWw9YzInKSd1aWxrbkB9dWp2YGFMYSc%2FJzxEVDQzV2FXSmJHVGIxPTNqaid4JSUl
● The Gem Theater -